Consistency vs. Creativity: Mastering the S01B-9BAR
Consistency vs. Creativity: Mastering the S01B-9BAR
In the espresso community, "consistency" is usually the gold standard. We build machines to do the exact same thing every time. But for those of us using a manual instrument like the S01B-9BAR, consistency is actually just the baseline.
Once you have mastered the baseline—the needed 7 to 9 bars of force, the 30–35 second stroke, and the one, two or triple, or even four-layer filter stack—you gain the ability to create purposely designed variations. Today we used 2 filters in the filter stack.
The "Controlled Variation" Experiment
Today, I purposely pushed the thermal variables. I wanted to see what happens when the "Thermal Mass" of the machine is fully saturated.
The Baseline: Usually, we preheat to a stable 92°C for a balanced, sweet cup.
The Variation: By submerging the piston 50mm into hot water and extending the "chamber soak" for an extra 20–30 seconds, I intentionally moved the extraction into a higher temperature range.
Understanding the Results
This wasn't an "accident" of a machine acting unpredictably. It was a user-driven choice.
Pressure: Remained in the stable 8–10 bar range.
Resistance: A smooth "ramp-up" as the water saturated the puck.
Flavor Profile: The result was a "Structured Bitterness"—a bold, dark-chocolate intensity that was perfect for a latte. A tiny bit of Bitterness is noticed and it is still very good.
Because I knew exactly what I did differently, I could replicate this "bold" version tomorrow, or I could return to the "sweet" baseline version.
Why Manual is Better
This is the true power of the S01B-9BAR. It is consistent enough to be your daily driver, but transparent enough to respond to your intentional tweaks. When you know your machine, you aren't just "making coffee"—you are profiling the flavor.
A drink that is "not boring" is a drink that stays within the good flavor range while exploring different peaks of body, aroma, and intensity.
Comments
Post a Comment